Maryhill College Through the Years
Maryhill College, one of the Catholic educational Institutions in Lucena City, was founded in 1938. Inspired by His Excellency Alfredo Versoza, D.D., then Archbishop of Lipa, the Canadian priest Fr. Ulric Arcand and Don Daniel Marquez labored for the construction of a school building. The school was initially named Lucena Catholic School. This moment of grace was coupled with the mission of the Maryknoll Sisters in the same year; they were Sr. Mary de Chantal, Sr. Maria Concepcion, and Sr. Maura Shaun.
The Maryknoll Sisters, imbued with spiritual in- depth, educational leadership skills and passion for spiritual formation, forged the first 250 students to learning. Eventually renamed as Maryknoll Academy, the school momentarily ceased operation due to the outbreak of World War II in 1941. It resumed its operation in 1945 and obtained Government Recognition from the Bureau of Private Education for its Elementary and Secondary courses in 1946.
Rapid expansion efforts in both infrastructures and academics were facilitated by the following Maryknoll Sisters at the helm of the school’s administration: Sr. Robert Marie (1953-1955), Sr. Stephen Marie (1956-1958), Sr. Carmen Eser (1959-1962), Sr. Joseph Aileen(1962-1968) and Sr. Ancilla Marie (1968-1973). The intensified school operation focused on these goals: to lead souls to God, to train the minds of the students by providing solid Catholic Education preparing them for life, and to form a lay apostolate among the youth who would fearlessly and intelligently keep the faith alive and responsibly share it with others.
Continuous Passion for Teaching and Evangelization
Rigors of student population growth necessitated the construction of a two- storey building in 1958; another three-storey annex building was constructed in 1969, and in 1984, another extension building was built behind the Cathedral’s Rectory. The buildings’ strategic location created a quadrangle inside the campus where student gatherings were held.
As an outreach program, the school initiated the opening of an extension campus in Ilasan, Tayabas, Quezon in 1968. Also named as Maryknoll Academy, it made available to the youth in Ilasan, Tayabas, Quezon an affordable Catholic education. The school lasted until 1976 when it became the San Roque Parochial School under the administration of the Parish. Maryknoll Academy also offered a night Secondary and Vocational School to serve the needs of those who are working at daytime and interested to attend school after work. The first enrollees totaled to 76 students comprising house aides, tricycle drivers and sales ladies. This Night High School program prospered until 1979. At present, there are extension campuses at the Sta. Isabel Village, Isabang, Tayabas City and Ciudad Maharlika Subdivision, Iyam, Lucena City which offer Pre-school and Primary education.
New Name, Renewed Mission
The Maryknoll Sisters’ change of mission in 1973 brought a demanding transition from religious leaders to lay administrators of the school. The administration was entrusted to Ms. Lourdes C. Glinoga as Directress; Mr. Victor Panopio, as High School Principal and Mrs. Corazon C. Belarmino, as Grade School Principal. Committed to the tasks entrusted as educational leaders, the High School Principal applied to the Philippine Accrediting Association for the Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU) and was awarded accreditation in 1975. The school also took its new name as Maryhill Academy in 1976. Maryhill
Academy was one of the founding institutions to spearhead and organize the Lucena Diocese Catholic Schools’ Association (LUDICSA) in 1977.
Through the years, the institution has been leading as an avenue for great learning and integral formation. Milestones for Maryhill Academy continued when CHED approved its tertiary level operation in 1996. The school was again renamed as Maryhill College with prime enrollees of 37 students. Courses initially offered were Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor in Secondary Education, Bachelor in Elementary Education, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and Computer Secretarial Course. This great leap for the school was under the solicitous effort of the Most Rev. Ruben T. Profugo, D.D., then Bishop of Lucena, and Ms. Bernardita C. Dural, Ed. D who served as the first HED Dean of College while retaining her office as Directress until 2011.
The Basic Education program merged the elementary and high school department in 2002 when the Most Rev. Emilio Z. Marquez, D.D., the present Bishop of Lucena, assumed governance of the school. Mrs. Lourdes B. Espejo took leadership as Basic Education Principal until 2011. The newly appointed Director, Rev. Fr. Edwin V. Baruelo is continuing the integrated Basic Education Program. The physical expansion of Maryhill College built other landmarks such as the covered court, the three- storey Pope John Paul II building for additional classrooms and administrative offices, the Pope Benedict XVI building for the Pre-Elementary and Elementary students, Technology and Livelihood Education building and the construction of a new canteen.
To meet the needs and challenges of the times, the school has opened a new course in the Higher Education- the College of Nursing. Maryhill College persistently continues to achieve excellence and to produce quality graduates as a reputable institution of learning. The school continues to upgrade itself aimed at providing the best in spiritual formation and community service.
The efforts of the founders have been productively invibe and perpetuated. The Marian education and mission lives on to this day through the living testimonies of students and thousands of graduates who have left the portals of the school, beaming with pride as beneficiaries of a